Our second time competing in state, the overall experience went very smoothly since we knew the ropes and what to expect. Upon arrival we leisurely went to the practice rooms and warmed up on one of the many dingy upright pianos before cooly walking into to the audition site. Well . . . I wish I could say it went exactly that way. However, outward appearances can be deceiving!
Each contestant is required to play three memorized pieces for a judge. After months and months of practice I do not like the thought of "one try" at a competition and all of the factors which it rests on. Cold, stiff fingers . . . a picky judge . . . or a crummy piano could alter desired outcomes. Or maybe just the opposite. Whatever it is, the proccess requires split-second flexibility and quick adjustment. Because of this I prayed that the Lord would give me perspective, ability, encouragement in whatever circumstance I faced.
-
However, this year I found it particularly exciting to audition in the huge concert hall. What a perk! Last year I performed on a not-so-great piano in one of the small offices. This year I was pleasantly surprised to progress to a higher notch.

There I stood, anxiously awaiting in front of the double doors of the hall, my heart thumping wildly. Finally, the music of the previous player had concluded, and the door opened. My eyes grew wide upon catching a first glimpse of the room. I walked down the stairway leading to the stage down below as if a red carpet had been unfurled at my feet. The judge sat beyond the stage like a speck off in the distance. Ahead a full-sized grand piano waited in the spotlight. Although its booming bass and muffled soprano notes required compensation -- which maybe I could not offer as accurately on a "first try" -- I caressed the black and white keys and pulled from them the music which had swirled in my head for days, weeks, months! Amid the blurr of thoughts and notes in my brain as I brought the piece to execution, I tried to focus on the scene and the lasting memory I would take away from this experience.
There I stood, anxiously awaiting in front of the double doors of the hall, my heart thumping wildly. Finally, the music of the previous player had concluded, and the door opened. My eyes grew wide upon catching a first glimpse of the room. I walked down the stairway leading to the stage down below as if a red carpet had been unfurled at my feet. The judge sat beyond the stage like a speck off in the distance. Ahead a full-sized grand piano waited in the spotlight. Although its booming bass and muffled soprano notes required compensation -- which maybe I could not offer as accurately on a "first try" -- I caressed the black and white keys and pulled from them the music which had swirled in my head for days, weeks, months! Amid the blurr of thoughts and notes in my brain as I brought the piece to execution, I tried to focus on the scene and the lasting memory I would take away from this experience.
-
What an honor it was to sit there and play. After watching others perform I realized the honor it was to even be numbered with such exceptional pianists in this state. Our jaws dropped to the floor upon hearing some of the incredible pieces these kids performed. In all honesty I was just about laughing because it was so unreal!
-
Needless to say, the experience this year has greatly inspired me. I thank the Lord for blessing that time and for providing such a wonderful opportunity for critique and growth!
3 comments:
nicely done, Kristen! Was the venue UW-Oshkosh?
Kristen,
I love your descriptive writing. I can just imagine everything that happened! :)
What a neat experience!
You're quite the girl, Kristy! And that was a really neat post! Congratulations to both you and Daniel for a job well done! Bravo!
Love,
Mrs. P.
Post a Comment